Thursday, May 17, 2007

Three down...17 to go!

Hello Friends!

To my pleasant surprise the radiation technicians that work Unit 5 (that's my unit :-) are truly amazing! So far I've worked with Kim everyday this week and then Chrystal and Joan as well. They are so kind and friendly! Now that I'm over the initial shock and unknown of radiation treatments, visiting with these ladies is a highlight and gift! Cool eh!?!

Oh get this!!! I'll be getting copies of some of my CT scans and guess what I'm going to do with them? Hehehe You guessed it! There going up here. To quote my friend Marcia, how super mega awesome cool is that!?! Talk about vulnerability...you'll be able to see my insides, literally! Hahahaha, I just love that. Leave it to Duane to ask if we could get copies, I would never have thought to ask. So that's something to look forward to and perhaps keep you coming back to check it out. I took some other pictures today but realized I forgot the computer connector cord for the digital camera so it'll be one more day of just text.

Ok, so now that I've had three sessions I should probably address that.
The first session went fine, I was just a bit nervous because this was my first experience with radiation. I was nauseous that afternoon but since the nausea hasn't returned I suppose it may have come from something else. Makes me happy!
Session two was more difficult for me. It was a really busy day and by the time I got to the hospital I was exhausted which seemed to amplify everything. Let me explain...you're not normally supposed to feel the radiation because it's just concentrated x-rays. As for me however, I could actually feel the tumor throbbing when receiving the first beam. With the second beam I could feel my skin sort of tingle and burn a bit. Thankfully I didn't feel anything for the third beam. Perhaps I should explain the different beams as well. For each treatment I get three beams of radiation that are directed into my belly from three different positions, one from the left, one from the top and one from the right. Each beam has a different dose so they run for different amounts of time anywhere for 40-60 some odd seconds each. Clear as mud no doubt. As for the afternoon of the second session my belly was rather swollen. You know, it's weird to feel swelling on the inside of your body! All together my body felt a bit off, I can't describe it any better than that. I blame all these odd sensations on having run myself down before treatment. Like my body battery was empty and I couldn't do anything till it was recharged. Even receiving the treatment this day was too much, I was just done and my emotions surfaced while lying on the table. Couldn't do much about it though, I have to lie perfectly still during treatment and besides, they have cameras on me...can't let them see me cry. Now don't panic, I cry, I just prefer it to be in private mostly. Except for that one day in church, wait...make that two. Actually I cry at church a lot but usually it's a good kinda happy cry. In retrospect that bad day I had in public (as I tried to explain it) surprised most people, I guess they hadn't really ever seen me like that. Hmmm, does that make me fake or private or just a generally happy person? Hang on a second, I can cry in public when it's bearing with someone else, I guess it's just my own stuff I don't go public with...she says as she's writing a very open and honest blog. WEIRD!!!

Sorry about the rabbit trail folks, now back to the topic at hand. Session three, being today, went seamlessly. No odd sensations during treatment and so far no side effects except for feeling a little weak. So now I know that I do have to get quality sleep and eat reasonably well and I should be ok! Who would have thunk it?

As for tonight, Duane’s back off to Abbotsford with my furry and slightly prickly friends. His 90 year old Aunt’s funeral is tomorrow and rather than fight the morning traffic he decided to head out tonight. That’s right, I’ll be at his place and he’ll be at mine. I’m finding my reaction to the whole thing rather strange, I’m sad and a little angry. It’s all really irrational so maybe I’ll just chop it up to the fact it’s been a hard week. Ya, it’s all kinda backing up on me now rather unexpectedly. I guess it’s time to go press into Jesus.

Good night all

2 comments:

Kori's House said...

I am glad to see I am not the only one who cries in church :)

onedayatatime said...

I'm happy to hear that the raditaion treatments are going pretty well. Thinking about you always, and saying little prayers for you throughout the day :)