Friday, May 25, 2007

Thankful Fors!

Beloved Friends
My apologies for not posting much this week. Here’s an extra long post to make up for it.

I’ve been enjoying getting used to relaxing. You’d think I’d have that down by now considering I left work in October but it turns out it’s an elusive state for me to get used to… until this week :-) The week was full of ups and downs, much a repeat of last week’s posts. I was able to get out to the beach for about an hour a day (any more than that and I’d fry, even with skin that loves the sun). Duane and I had BBQ on the beach twice as well – truly beautiful!

Radiation treatments are becoming normal and the ladies that work there are amazing! Today was interesting … the power went out for the whole cancer agency. Doctors, nurses and patients were all just hanging out, it was rather an odd sight. I went to the mall across the street for an hour and upon returning my radiation therapist said that they’d be down for another few hours. Thankfully I was allowed to skip treatment today and just add an extra one on to the end. Hanging out at the cancer agency all day wasn’t my idea of a good time, regardless of how awesome the staff is. To the beach! Hehehe

As for todays post I’d like to do some “Thankful Fors”. It all started with my sister and her kids. “Let’s do thankful fors” one of them pipes up as we’re eating dinner at mom and dads one day. Naturally it was thanksgiving I believe but it’s been something that stuck for a while. So here are some of mine…

Carin’s Thankful Fors…
I’m thankful for my hubby Duane! He’s the best hubby ever! He’s so understanding and encouraging. Talks me down and helps me refocus on what’s important when the hard bits appear. He’s taking really really good care of me – Thanks hun! You da bestest!!!


Location, location, location! The picture above is a street I get to drive everyday.
So despite being away from all those I love in Abbotsford (and Yarrow ;-) I’m beginning to love the area. Really, how can’t you when you’re minutes away from the beach! Are you seeing a theme yet? Can you guess where my new happy place is? THE BEACH! Wanna come for BBQ some day? You’ll see what I mean! And the people watching…fascinating!
It’s not only the beach that has me mesmerized. The Nitobi Garden (pic below) at UBC is …well…beyond words. It’s my favorite place for contemplation.

We had the distinct pleasure of sharing it with friends Andy and Jacquie on Monday (pic below). Thanks so much for coming to visit you guys! We had a really great time! Yay!!! (That’s me being thankful!)

Which brings me to loved ones! That would be you! Family and friends, church folk and fellow Samuel’s Mantlers. I miss you all like crazy. I have received so much love and encouragement via emails, cards and comments – thank you thank you! God’s got me surrounded with the most amazing people and I am extremely thankful for that!

I would be remiss if I didn’t make mention of the new old friends that have touched base with me via this page. Ladies I once knew from many many moons ago, those good ole high school days. Thank you for your comments! I think it’s so cool and your interest tickles my heart!

Treatments! Yes I know that may sound odd as cancer treatments are generally no fun but I am SOOOO thankful that they exist, without them I might not. I bless those that work in giving them and those who work at creating better ones. THANK YOU!

(Don't worry, I am still wearing a tank shirt in the picture below...that's me seconds before a radiation treatment.)
In this section I have to make mention of Paul. A 77 year old man I met yesterday in the waiting area of unit 5. He’s a volunteer who brings a cart of coffee and treats all around the agency on Thursdays. He is full of life and love and is more than happy to share his story. He was once a patient here and had to go though 37 treatments. He says “I'm ok as long as I’m wearing this coat (indicating his volunteers vest) and not that one (pointing at a hospital gown like thing that's used for treatment) ” I had opportunity to visit with him briefly and he was quick to thank God’s grace for his recovery. “I’m a Christian you know” he continues. The exuberance in which he shared his faith was awesome! Nothing pushy, no bible thumping involved, just a man thankful and excited about life and wanting to shout it from the roof tops. I don’t have that gift of boldness but seeing his excitement made me ever so slightly envious. For your contagious exuberance, Paul I thank you!

Thank you all for sharing in my journey. Till next time...May you and yours be blessed!

2 comments:

Keri's Collage... said...

A very nice post! I would love to hear the story of how you and you're hubby met...what you were doing between high school and now...etc etc etc :)

Theresa said...

Here, here Keri! I would love to hear that too! I'm so glad you have found the beach and the gardens, they look amazing! Enjoy my friend!