Tuesday, October 16, 2007

What's Next

So I’ve been pondering what to write next. Life feels like it’s finally getting back to normal. My energy and emotions are doing well for the most part. I finally heard from my oncologist today about the next medication (for the abdominal tumors) that she wants to put me on. She says the research is good and that 6 out of 10 people have good success with it. We are now waiting for it to be approved, by whom I’m not sure but I suppose it’s sort of like getting authorization to bill for these meds.

I mentioned in previous posts that I was ill at ease with what happens next. I was feeling like I had to start life over again…as is with most big issues and changes in life. Since my last post life has become a bit more clear. The mandate is still the same as it was before the radiation knocked me out, which I felt was to watch for what God is doing and share his love in those places. I suppose that may sound a bit general and airy fairy but it’s the simplest way to put it. To explain it more would be an entire post in itself. Interestingly enough, as I’m wondering what I’m supposed to do next, there happens to be a local info/prayer meeting for “Partners” which is an organization that helps the displaced people of Burma (inside and outside of the country). If you want to know what’s “really” going on in Burma check out partnersworld.org online.

The people of Burma have been on my heart long before they hit the news last month. Our pastors have been visiting Partners in Thailand over the last two years and have always come home with heartbreaking stories along side amazing stories of joy, love, grace and mercy. Living the basics of what Jesus taught truly happens in these places. It’s like nothing our western minds can comprehend. Finally having the chance to meet a few of the guys that run Partners was really great. They shared information that isn’t broadcast over the news and clarified details of the war and the people affected.
This was one of those moments when you have to make a decision…do you hear this info but file it away somewhere because it’s just too much for your heart to take and figure what can I do anyway or do you let all the horrific stories and joyful stories sink into your heart and at least try to do something about it.
For me, if I liked it or not, these stories became woven into my heart and I can’t just let them fade away into the ether. What I’ll do has yet to be revealed but for now it’s a journey into discovering my emotions. Might sound funny but really, how many of us actually connect with how we’re really feeling. Perhaps it’s just me but anytime sadness or heartbreak shows up, in an effort to stay in control, I push them down. After all, I’m “strong” don’t you know. Funny thing about that statement is that it’s backwards. I think to be truly strong you need to be able to let the emotions come up, whatever they may be.

If I am to love on people effectively I think I need to be connected to the entire scope of emotions – the good and the hard. I suppose we all need to do that to live healthy lives but my guess is we all struggle with that in some way or another. To wade into the river of heartbreak and disappointment is a very scary thing. There’s a fear that if I open that door that I may not be able to shut it again. I know it’s a lie but never the less very real. I don’t know what it’s all going to look like or how many times I’ll stumble but I know it’s a journey into a more authentic me. No doubt it will take a life time.

4 comments:

Lorrie said...

Hey you
Just saying hi, how you doing, and hope things are going alright? :)

Keri's Collage... said...

Happy New Year! Praying for health and peace as you enter 2008!

Anonymous said...

Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.

Anonymous said...

イタリアに
基づいていますが
これらのプラダの
デザインは20カ国以
上で販売されました

Visit my blog post; ミュウミュウ アウトレット